The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is seeking a Senior Program Office to join the Agricultural Development Team within their Global Development Program.
The job description is as follows:
The Senior Program Officer (SPO) will be a leader and a team player in the implementation of these goals, with a specific focus on creating gender-responsive agricultural development programming. The SPO will work closely with the full Agricultural Development team to develop and execute an advocacy strategy, forge new partnerships, and develop grants. S/he may also play a leadership role in promoting gender-responsive strategies across the Global Development program.
In Agricultural Development, the SPO will play a critical role in managing high impact and complex grants and partnerships around gender and agriculture interactions. S/he will provide research and analysis in support of grant making, strategy development, donor coordination and communication and advocacy. Furthermore, s/he will support the Agricultural Development team in a cross-cutting function by providing tools and resources to the team to build capacity and foster practical gender-responsiveness across the Agricultural Development grant portfolio. S/he will also be a spokesperson and public advocate for our grants, portfolio and strategy.
The SPO will bring a depth and breadth of experience in, and knowledge of, donor and developing country governments’ development activities and mechanisms, and technical expertise in evidence based, results oriented advocacy.
Key responsibilities include:
- Consult with grantees to develop new grant ideas around gender and the role of women in achieving sustainable productivity growth according to the Agricultural Development team’s strategy, conduct site visits, provide technical guidance and convene meetings.
- Manage a portfolio of project grants. Partner with grantees to develop project objectives and define key outcomes and milestones, ensuring that appropriate monitoring and evaluation systems and processes are established to produce robust evaluation of outcomes.
- Review letters of inquiry and grant proposals, provide written analysis and recommendations for funding, including drafting and editing of proposal summaries and progress reports for existing grants for review by Foundation leadership.
- Develop and manage tools and resources and provide back-stopping for fellow POs and their grantees in the area of gender-responsive agricultural development to enhance gender awareness and accountability in the team’s grant-making.
- Manage internal processes and portfolio progress while ensuring appropriate documentation, grant budgeting and reporting.
- Plan and execute a wide range of activities in support of strategic planning, grant management and external relationship management related to the foundation’s leadership in promoting gender-responsive agricultural development programs. Provide written analysis of key topics to foundation leadership.
- Represent the foundation to key program-related external constituencies. This will likely include both formal and informal public presentations such as making speeches, attending international conferences and other meetings as necessary.
- Serve as a point of contact on Gender-related issues for key internal and external stakeholders. In particular, play a role in advancing gender across the foundation, with a specific focus on the programs in the Global Development program
For the full posting, including information on qualifications and the link to the online application, click here.