The Asian Development Bank (ADB) is seeking a Social Development Specialist as part of their Regional and Sustainable Development Department.
Promote, coordinate, and facilitate the implementation of ADB’s Policy on Gender and Development (GAD). As member of the gender team of Regional and Sustainable Development Department (RSDD) carry-out ADB knowledge work on gender and provide support to operational departments in integrating gender equality into ADB operations. Analyze and report on the region’s and ADB’s performance in advancing gender equality. Serve as focal point for engagement with external agencies on GAD including bilateral and multilateral development agencies, developing member country governments, and women’s NGOs. Work with broad policies and objectives, working directly with clients, with supervision for critical tasks.
a. Policies, Strategies, and Frameworks
- Contribute to the overarching objective of ADB’s policy on GAD and the ADB-wide Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment Operational Plan 2013-2020.
- Contribute to ensuring gender mainstreaming in other sector and thematic policies, strategies, and operational plans of ADB.
- Prepare reports on progress in implementation of the Gender Equality Operational Plan and GAD Policy.
- Contribute to tracking and reporting on gender-related targets in the annual corporate Development Effectiveness Review reports.
b. Operational Support -
- Provide technical advice to the operations departments (ODs) to integrate gender considerations into their country partnership strategies and programming.
- Lead the preparation of selective country gender assessments as part of the CPS process.
- Provide technical advice to ODs to integrate gender into project designs, including project-specific gender strategies and plans.
- Support ODs in monitoring the implementation of project gender action plans (GAPs) and in tracking gender equality results of projects.
- Carry out selected GAP implementation review missions to elicit good practices and lessons learned from ongoing projects.
- In collaboration with ODs, conceptualize, develop, and implement gender pilot initiatives.
- Conduct staff training and briefing sessions on areas relevant to gender mainstreaming.
c. Regional Cooperation and Partnerships
- Build institutional partnerships on GAD and maintain knowledge networks with other agencies and organizations, including bilateral and multilateral development agencies, DMC governments, women’s NGOs. Coordinate with other international agencies in the preparation of joint reports, workshops, advocacy activities, etc.
- Coordinate partnerships with technical agencies and other external organizations addressing GAD.
- Develop and implement regional technical assistance projects (TAs) on gender issues relevant to regional cooperation and economic integration.
d. Knowledge Generation and Sharing
- Prepare knowledge products and services on gender issues of importance, such as studies on current and emerging issues, operational tools (sector checklists and toolkits), and good practice project case studies.
- Disseminate ADB gender knowledge by organizing knowledge and learning events, use of media and website, and represent ADB in external events.
- As part of Gender Equity Community of Practice (CoP) Secretariat, contribute to carrying CoP activities such as peer review function and management of CoP committee.
- Keep track of regional trends on emerging issues and key challenges, such as gender-related impacts of climate change, reduction of women’s time poverty through infrastructure development, food security, gender-based violence, and women’s participation in decision-making and voice.
- Contribute in the administration and implementation of the GAD Cooperation Fund, including the provision of advice to regional departments on proposal preparation - Provide input to other social development areas, and capitalizing on synergies with other teams working on social sectors and social themes
e. Staff Supervision
- Supervises the work of team members.
- Supervise the performance of reporting staff, providing clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance.
- Ensure the on-going learning and development of reporting staff.
For the complete job posting, including information on educational requirements and desired experience, click here.
Applications must be submitted by April 4, 2013 by 5:00 PM Manila time.