Please view full job posting and apply here.
Assist the Director, Gender Equality, in driving the Gender Equality cross-foundation vision:
The Senior Program Officer, Gender Equality will work with the Director, Gender Equality to develop a cross-foundation Statement of Commitment and associated programmatic theory of change on gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls. The Senior Program Officer, Gender Equality will provide program-specific technical support to the development of a time-bound foundation-wide strategy on gender equality which articulates how the foundation will achieve its overarching commitments to gender equality, including through strategic investments with partners.
Strategic Counsel to and resource for the Program Strategy Teams (PSTs):
The SPO Gender Equality will advise and bring subject matter expertise to GD teams as they address the specific needs of women and girls and explore where gender equality/girls and women’s empowerment may make a difference in their strategies. This role will help support teams in crafting strategic questions about the role of gender equality and women’s empowerment in their programs, and assist teams in identifying appropriate data and evidence to support their strategic inquiries.
To that end, the Senior Program Officer, Gender Equality will work together with targeted PSTs to develop a sector specific strategic approach on gender equality, defining the plan, driving the execution and measuring the progress under the direction of the Director of Gender Equality. The Senior Program Officer, Gender Equality will collaborate with at least 4 prioritized PSTs and the India Country Office, to develop a targeted gender strategy, identify data gaps and investment opportunities that accelerate overall impact within and across PSTs. The Senior Program Officer, Gender Equality will carefully structure this deep technical work around an Action-Learning approach that tracks the changes in program effectiveness for women and girls, and inspires learning across the foundation. The Senior Program Officer, Gender Equality will also develop practical program tools to guide and support the integration of gender equality within grants across PSTs (i.e. program design and evaluation tools, gender analysis).
Oversee Gender Equality team Investments:
The Senior Program Officer, Gender Equality will manage the internal Gender Challenge Fund set of investments, ensuring quality, cross-learning and results. This role will provide technical input into the development of a conceptual model, and associated measurement guidance, on women and girls’ empowerment. The Senior Program Officer, Gender Equality will support the development of a Research & Learning Agenda on Gender Equality for the Foundation, together with key internal and external partners.
Support exploration of new areas for gender equality work:
The Senior Program Officer, Gender Equality will support the Director of Gender Equality in leading a systematic process to identify and analyze the evidence to explore new areas for gender equality work. This role will lead in the analysis of this evidence, and identification of 1-2 transformative program levers that can accelerate results across program strategies.
Strategic Communication on Gender Equality:
The Senior Program Officer, Gender Equality strategically communicates the evidence base for investment on gender equality and women and girl’s empowerment across the foundation, including through the Gender Equality Steering Committee and related working groups. The Senior Program Officer, Gender Equality will translate technical input, data and program case study examples into external communications work, including panel/speech preparation, and will represent the Foundation’s gender equality program work at select technical forums.
- 10+ years of experience in gender equality work in the global health or development context including topic expertise in at least one of the strategies where women and girls are most relevant at the foundation: WASH, Family Planning
- Financial Services for the Poor, Agricultural Development, Nutrition, or Maternal Newborn and Child Health.
- Recognized internally and externally by the global professional community as an expert in gender equality and women and girl’s empowerment.
- Experience in developing, implementing or evaluating gender-based approaches, including women and girls’ empowerment models, with an objective view of their efficacy and value.
- Evidence of experience in program-led research initiatives on gender equality.
- Intuitive understanding of how to lead and get things done across a complex organizational structure
- Deep technical understanding and use of gender analysis tools, program operational models on gender equality, and familiarity with recent literature and evidence in gender and development.
- Strong experience with mainstreaming gender or other approaches across complex organizations
- A compelling influencer, and communicator: Able to inspire others, build consensus, and bring them together around a common agenda.
- Superior communication (verbal/written) skills to compellingly represent the Foundation internally and externally
- Demonstrated strategic thinking paired with an ability to develop and execute a work plan to achieve established goals
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse stakeholders across an organization.
- Ability to work in a matrixed environment.
- Ability to define connections across different sectors and parlay those connections into key measures of progress
- Ability to prioritize, focus and achieve results in a fast paced and complex environment.