The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) seeks a qualified candidate to serve as a Senior Research Assistant or Research Analyst in its Poverty, Health and Nutrition Division (PHND). This is a two-year, fixed-term, renewable appointments. The positions will be based in Washington DC with travel overseas as needed. The final position title will be based on experience. The successful candidate will work mainly on two projects: the Gender, Agriculture, and Assets Project (Phase II) and the Women’s Empowerment in Agriculture Index (WEAI).
Specific duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Organize, clean, process and analyze household data sets and qualitative data.
- Prepare tables, graphs, and other outputs for reports.
- Assist in the preparation of project deliverables, presentations, briefs and papers.
- Conduct literature reviews and provide research assistance on gender issues in agriculture.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in Economics, Agricultural Economics, Statistics, Public Policy, Epidemiology, or equivalent.
- At the Research Analyst level, a minimum of 3 years’ relevant post-Master’s experience is required.
- Strong background in gender and development issues, particularly in relation to agriculture in developing countries.
- Demonstrated experience working with quantitative data (data cleaning, management, analysis, etc.) at the household and individual (intra household) levels.
- Advanced STATA skills, including programming.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Ability and willingness to travel nationally and internationally as necessary.
- Demonstrated ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Fluency in one other language – preferably French.
- Experience with Access, VBA.
- Experience with data entry and CAPI software packages (CSPro, Surveybe, Epi Info, etc).
- Experience in proposal development and field research in developing countries.
- Knowledge of econometrics.
- Experience in survey design, questionnaire design, and conducting and supervising household surveys in developing countries; field experience related to gender issues.
- Training and experience in methods for designing and conducting causal impact evaluations, including randomized controlled trials (RCT), and other methods.
- Demonstrated strong writing skills.
- Ability to work well with multicultural and multi-disciplinary teams.
IFPRI provides research-based policy solutions to sustainably reduce poverty and end hunger and malnutrition. The Institute conducts research, communicates results, optimizes partnerships, and builds capacity to ensure sustainable food production, promote healthy food systems, improve markets and trade, transform agriculture, build resilience, and strengthen institutions and governance. Gender is considered in all of the Institute’s work. IFPRI collaborates with partners around the world, including development implementers, public institutions, the private sector, and farmers’ organizations. IFPRI is a member of the CGIAR Consortium.
IFPRI Employees: Please send resume & cover letter via e-mail to Carla Tufano/Monica Dourado.
External Applicants: Go to www.ifpri.org . Click on “Careers” and then click on “Research” to link you to Position #15-171 – Senior Research Assistant/Research Analyst, (PHND). Please complete on-line application, including a complete resume and a detailed letter of interest. Also complete section providing 3 references.
For more information on IFPRI, please visit our website at www.ifpri.org